Baked Chicken Queso
Save to BigOven
- 4 chicken breasts (about 2 lbs total), boneless and skinless
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeno, diced (remove seeds for less heat)
- 2 cups Queso Mama
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large Ziploc bag, toss chicken breasts with 1 Tablespoon olive oil and the taco seasoning mix. Remove air from bag and seal. Marinate at least 15 minutes and up to 8 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat the remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a large cast-iron skillet for 2 minutes over medium-high heat until the hot oil sizzles.
- Sear the chicken breasts until nicely browned on both sides, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Once done, transfer onto a plate to keep warm.
- In the same skillet, add onion, tomato, and jalapeño and sauté 2 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and top with sautéed onion and tomato.
- Spread Queso Mama evenly over each chicken breast.
- Bake on the top rack of the oven for 20-25 minutes until fully cooked through and Queso Mama is bubbly and starting to brown.
- Use an instant-read thermometer to make sure chicken is 165 degrees.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.